Malignant cell growths refer to cancer development. Due to DNA changes, cells divide uncontrollably and tend to spread further. In some cases, much remains unknown about what exactly leads to such growth. In other instances, the reasons are significant. Liver cancer is an alarming concern, requiring immediate expert attention for better recovery.
This type of malignant condition is one of the fastest-growing ones. Hepatocellular carcinoma is the most common type that begins in hepatocytes. It’s the main parenchymal tissue of the liver. These cells have crucial roles in the detoxification of the blood, metabolism, protein synthesis, etc. Receive A1 health guidance from your oncologist at the leading cancer hospital in Siliguri.
There exist several types of liver cancer, such as hepatoblastoma, hepatic adenoma, intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma, hemangioma. Mostly, cancer from other organs/or parts of the body spread to the liver, known as a secondary condition. A primary condition is when cancerous cells develop in the liver.
Knowing the Symptoms
Early-stage liver cancer shows no significant signs in most people. The signs/discomforts come to light when the stage becomes more advanced, including:
- Unintended weight loss
- Jaundice/yellowing of eyes, skin
- Abdominal pain on the ride side
- White stools
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal swelling
- Upper abdominal pain
What Increases the Risks
Given below are factors that increase the likelihood of liver cancer:
- Heavy alcohol consumption can put you at risk of liver damage. And an untreated condition can develop into a cancerous growth.
- Exposure to aflatoxin is associated with the risk of this condition. This toxic substance may activate the Porto-oncogenes and mutation in the tumor growths.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver, if remains poorly treated, can contribute to malignant development eventually.
- Long-standing infections with hepatitis B virus or C virus can make you sensitive to this concern.
- Some inherited liver diseases include Wilson’s disease, hemochromatosis can be a contributing factor here.
- Hepatic cirrhosis refers to scarring of liver tissue. This late-stage disease may cause permanent liver damage and is also a risk factor for liver cancer.
- Uncontrolled diabetes/high blood sugar may interfere with your liver health. At times, it may result in liver cancer if lifestyle choices are not healthy.
You can take preventive steps such as eating a liver healthy diet, quitting alcohol consumption, and managing body weight. Refrain from unprotected sexual activities, do not inject any illegal drugs and get vaccinated against Hepatitis B virus as suggested by a doctor. Did you know using contaminated needles may increase the chance of the Hepatitis C virus? Look after that.
Doctors, in order to examine your health condition, may order blood tests, MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, angiogram, or liver biopsy for tissue sampling. All these tests/procedures help doctors determine the stage or extent of cancer. Reach out to North Bengal’s top oncologists for cancer treatment inSiliguri.
Treatments depend on what suits your well-being. Compact medical care ensured by your specialist aim at healthy healing. For primary cancer, doctors suggest surgical removal of the growth or a liver transplant. Cancer therapies like radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or immunotherapy can be used in combination with surgery.